((Sorry this took me so long to get out to you.))
While recovering from the fight with the undead Ash Giant, the door to the south opened and you were back in combat:
- A Mummy Lord (Prelate Aruth) with Cleric levels attacked you along with a pair of Greater Shadows.
- The Prelate used a Blade Barrier to keep you away from him and an Obscuring Mist to conceal his presence.
- While dealing with the Greater Shadows, you managed to dispel Aruth’s Blade Barrier and his Obscuring Mist, enabling you to chase him back to his quarters.
- We has able to use magical Darkness to conceal himself until you dispelled that, too.
- Although he managed to curse Tatonga with Mummy Rot, you managed to destroy the Mummy Lord and his shadowy minions.
You scoured the rest of the Donjon, looking for a secret door leading to the Star Tower. Instead, you discovered a large shrine to Zon-Kuthon.
- On the alter was a pile of bones and ash with an ash-covered skull resting atop the pile.
- Although Rodrick said “the rhyme” mentioned the importance of a site with ash and bone, you decided to leave the altar alone.
- You finally did find a secret door leading into the Star Tower.
You made your way to the bottom of the Star Tower, where a telepathic voice spoke to you from the magical darkness keeping the entire room cloaked in shadow:
- The voice calls itself Idervok.
- Idervok congratulated you all on making it this far and has offered one of you the honor of becoming “the Star Tower’s new curate.”
- “The curate is the living soul of this Star Tower. The curate watches over the Star Tower and lives until the End Times — or until violence necessitates a replacement. The curate is the Star Tower. It is an honor even to be considered for the role, and to be selected and reject it is to spit in the Midnight Lord’s eye.”
- When none of you volunteered to take on the mantle of the curate, Idervok stopped talking to you after mentioning, “This insult to Zon-Kuthon shall not stand.”
- You think you may be in a fight now, but you don’t know where (or even what) your foe is.